Monday, November 27, 2006
waldorf salad and the table settings:
clockwise from left: wild rice stuffing with celery and sausage (will), pearl onions with bechamel sauce (will), mashed potatoes (liza), mushroom and bread stuffing (liza), amaretto cranberries (liza)
Thursday, November 23, 2006
Wednesday, November 22, 2006
Sunday, November 19, 2006
2 cans black beans with liquid
6 cups water
1 Tb. olive oil
3 c. chopped onion
10 medium garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp salt
1 medium carrot, diced
1 medium bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 c. orange juice
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 8-ounce can of tomato sauce
heat olive oil in a skillet. add onion, half the garlic, cumin, salt and carrot. saute over medium heat until the carrot is just tender. add remaining garlic and the bell pepper. saute until everything is very tender, another 10-15 minutes. add the sauteed mixture to the beans.
stir in orange juice, black pepper, cayenne, water, and tomato sauce. puree all or some of the soup in a blender or food processor, and return to soup pot. simmer over very low heat 10-15 minutes more.
*i added also about 28 oz of pureed pumpkin and a can of crushed tomatoes- this served 10 people with a little bit leftover.
i served this with whole wheat quesadillas with cilantro and onion, guacamole, and a chicken dish: chicken breasts with cumin baked with diced tomatoes and a teeny bit of tomato sauce (ends up making a light sauce).
Thursday, November 16, 2006
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 large garlic clove, sliced thin
1 1/4 teaspoons minced peeled fresh gingerroot
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup Arborio or long-grain rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
halve squash lengthwise and discard seeds. peel one half and cut into 1/4-inch dice. put remaining half, cut side down, in an oiled shallow baking pan with diced squash and season with salt and pepper. bake squash in middle of 450 degree oven, stirring diced squash occasionally, until tender and browned lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. scoop out flesh and chop coarse.
in a saucepan bring broth and water to a simmer and keep at a bare simmer.
in another saucepan cook onion, garlic, and ginger in butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. stir in rice and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. add wine and cook, stirring, until absorbed. stir in 1/4 cup broth and cook, stirring constantly, and keeping at a simmer throughout, until absorbed. continue simmering and adding broth, about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition be absorbed before adding next, until about half of broth has been added. stir in diced and chopped squash and continue simmering and adding broth in same manner until rice is tender and creamy-looking but still al dente. add salt and pepper to taste.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling
1 cup walnut halves, toasted
1 1/2 cups feta cheese, crumbles
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, a handful of leaves
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 large clove garlic
put it alllllll in the food processor.
this has become my "thing." parrrTY!
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
things made to date:
1. borscht, boiled potatoes, salad (moosewood)
2. portobello burgers with pesto sauce, pasta salad
3. burritos with chorizo, chicken, and red peppers, homemade roasted salsa, guacamole
4. hamburgers, asian cole slaw, corn on the cob, bundt cake (mom!)
5. spinach risotto, feta walnut dip, roasted garlic spread
6. vicki's favorite chicken , couscous, asparagus, roasted pears
7. samosas, carrot ginger soup (moosewood)
8. grilled steak, stuffed mushrooms
9. pasta with fresh tomato sauce, pesto
10. salade nicoise, roasted tomato soup
11. pasta with vodka cream sauce -- we used white wine instead
13. cold pasta with mixed vegetables, peanut sauce, and grilled chicken, snow peas
14. french onion soup, baked goat cheese salad
15. black bean casserole (mom)
16. penne with sundried tomatoes, portobellos, and asparagus, beet chips, feta walnut dip
17. glazed salmon, mix of boiled potatoes, salad (mom)
18. couscous with veggies, yogurt cucumber sauce, roasted tomatoes, chicken
19. butternut squash risotto
20. pasta with scallops and fresh tomatoes (mom)
21. rosemary glazed chicken, rice, sauteed fall vegetables
22. pasta bolognese, salad (gwyneth)
23. portobello, sausage, and steak mix, mashed potatoes, tomato salad, asparagus
24. salmon with rosemary white wine reduction (!), roasted vegetables, tomatoes
25. seafood risotto, green beans, salad
26. herb tortellini with roasted red peppers and spinach walnut pesto
27. pumpkin soup, roasted fall veggies
28. oven fried chicken, roasted potatoes, green beans, amaretto cranberries (mom)